Aug. 17, 2023
Straight razor shaving is making a comeback. And as with many nearly lost arts, there is a growing desire to understand, perfect, and share this wet shaving ritual. So, if you've been thinking about going "cut-throat", read on to discover the benefits of this age-old practice as well as the history, terminology, and maintenance of a straight razor.
Great for your shave. How can you get the closest experience to a barbershop shave without actually going to a barbershop? With a straight razor, of course! The single, sharp edge of a straight razor allows for maximum contact with the skin, allowing you to get the closest, smoothest shave.
· Great for your skin. Cartridge razors cut your hair under your skin, which is the main cause of ingrown hairs and shave bumps. A straight razor cuts along the surface of your skin, eliminating the skin irritation that you might be experiencing.
· Enjoy the process. Shaving with a straight razor is an enjoyable process. It takes some time to learn the technique, but once you do, it transforms shaving from a chore to an enjoyable event.
· Traditional. Men have been shaving with straight razors for hundred years. Straight razors last multiple lifetimes, and can become a family heirloom. Maintaining your straight razor isn't a chore, it's part of the enjoyment of it all.
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN TYPES OF STRAIGHT RAZORS
· Grind: Describes the shape of the cross section of a straight razor. It takes much more work and skill to get a straight razor to the extra hollow state, and only the most skilled manufacturing shops in the world are able to do it well. The result is a straight razor that is lighter to hold and easier to maintain a sharp edge. The majority of straights that we carry are in the Half Hollow to Extra Hollow Range.
· Height: The height of the blade is the height from the bottom of the Edge to the spine. The two most common straight razor blade heights are 5/8th (most common) and 6/8th. The taller the blade height the heavier the razor can be.
· Scales: It's the scales that make the straight razor. Whether you are just a modern man or an aficionado, the scales on the straight razor is more than just a place the razor resides, it's where the razors personality resides as well. Scales come in a wide variety of materials (natural to man-made), colors, and shapes to please every palate.
· Vintage: Vintage blades are a perfect place to begin if you are looking to begin straight shaving with a straight razor. We offer lightly restored and honed razors for a great value. Shaving with a vintage piece of Americana also goes hand in hand with the tradition of straight razor shaving.
Straight Razor Blade Material
Most straight razors are generally made of two types of steel: carbon steel and stainless steel. While scales can be made for a wide variety of materials from natural to man-made and every color of the rainbow.
· Carbon Steel is a softer metal. The softer steel helps the straight take its shape. They are easier to hone and require less stropping to get to a shave-ready edge. It is important to make sure that the razor is dry when not being used, so that it does not rust. Carbon steel are what the majority of straight razors are made from. We recommend starting with a Carbon Steel straight razor.
· Stainless Steel is a harder metal. It takes a little longer to hone and may require extra laps on the strop. Stainless Steel razors tend to hold their edges longer than carbon steel. Rusting is less of a concern with Stainless Steel straight razors, so these are great for someone in a more humid area.
Feb. 22, 2024
If you are looking to ditch your cartridge razor routine in favor of getting a classic barber shave in your own bathroom, then you're not alone. The world's best barbers always keep a straight razor in their arsenal in order to maintain the detailed lines along a gent's neck and beard. As beards have grown in popularity over recent years.
Feb. 20, 2024
Bronzers are designed to add colour to the skin, giving the effect of a sun-kissed or sun-tanned look to your makeup. Bronzing products can be found in the form of powders, liquids and creams. To use any formula as part of your beauty routine, you will need to select the perfect bronzer brush shape and fibre. Depending on the style of your makeup.
Feb. 18, 2024
Is your makeup bag overflowing with brushes that you don't know how to use? Whether you're decluttering or shopping for useful makeup brushes, learn what to look for in the perfect highlighter brush. With the right tools you can easily add a natural glow to your cheekbones, brow bones, or anywhere else you'd like to emphasize.
Keep in Touch
The fastest way to determine the best solution you need is to talk to one of our team of experts. We can quickly narrow down your options and give you objective advice on the most suitable candidate. Write to us will be back to you within 12 hours with details information